In his address to the Bike to Work Day crowd at Freedom Plaza, Ward One Councilmember Jim Graham was kind enough to proudly mention City Bikes as one of his constituents, which was nice.
But far FAR nicer was his description of his proposed FY09 appropriation for bicycling. Besides the $1.5M in recurring (not one-time grant money) appropriations, funded out of parking ticket collections, they are looking to fund a full-time staffer for the Bicycle Advisory Council.
Cross your fingers, and maybe drop a line to your councilmember's office. Here's a summary of the proposal we got our mitts on:
1) Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety and Enhancement Fund
· $1.5 million dollars to DDOT recurring each year
i. Faster action on implementing the Bicycle Master Plan
ii. Faster action on implementing the Pedestrian Master Plan
iii. Creative solutions that can’t be done with Federal Dollars
iv. Faster responses to local bike/pedestrian safety problems
2) Bicycle / Pedestrian Safety Public Service Announcements
· $18,000 to Washington Area Bicyclists Association
· Get the message out to drivers that they must drive respectfully
· Encourage folks to ride their bikes and walk
3) Better Bicycle Parking
· $60,000 to help DDOT do bicycle parking study required by law
· Assess the quality of bicycle access and parking at all DC Gov’t facilities.
4) Bicycle Advisory Council support
· Full-time staff person to support the Bicycle Advisory Council in pushing DDOT to provide better bicycle facilities.
· This staff person will be located in the Council Policy Office to provide bicycle and pedestrian expertise to all Councilmembers